This past Monday was Riley’s first day at “school” (a.k.a. day care). We’ve been a bit nervous about this day because Riley still doesn’t take the bottle. I believe I posted previously about leaving Daddy and Riley alone for a day in hopes of getting Riley to be hungry enough to eat from a bottle…of course that didn’t work. Anyhow, we figured worst case scenario, I would have to go up to school every few hours and feed the kiddo. Not ideal, but doable.

OK, so Monday morning arrives. Mommy is now on school drop off duty. Totally prepared the night before (labeled bottles, thawed the frozen breast milk, diapers/wipes packaged and ready to go). I get up early just to make sure I have plenty of time. Load up the car with everything. Wake up Riley to feed her. Go get Rip ready. Out the door by 7:30 a.m. Of course I should have known that things weren’t going to go so smoothly when it started pouring rain 5 minutes before we left the house.

We get to school with no problems. Rip is actually in a very good mood which I am thankful for as it makes things much easier. Rip goes with me to drop off Riley. We meet her morning teacher (Ann). Mommy takes Riley out of the car seat and Ann takes her with a smile and tells me they’ll take good care of her. I smile back…and start giving her a heads up about our spirited little Riley. I can tell by the look on Ann’s face she thinks I’m a little nuts and that Riley will be just fine. We finish saying our goodbyes to Riley and head down to Rip’s room. Still in a very good mood, Rip tells me I can “go home now mommy”. Huh, he cries when Daddy drops him off…

OK, Mommy heads to the gym, gets a good workout in, heads home and after 5 minutes of working, the phone rings. Can you believe it??? An hour and a half of school and Riley is screaming so loud they call me and tell me I need to come up and feed her. Looks like the worst case scenario is going to happen.

I go feed Riley. She actually only eats a little before passing out. I talk with the teachers a little more then head home. Phone rings 2 hours later and Riley is screaming again. I head up, feed her a little and again she passes out. The teachers suggest a bottle that we hadn’t tried yet. It’s a latex nipple vs. a silicone nipple. I run to the store buy it and rush back to school with my fingers crossed that this works.

The rest of the afternoon I am on pins and needles waiting for the phone to ring saying Riley is screaming again. I am ever so happy to report that Riley successfully took 2 bottles at school yesterday. OK, so it took 50 minutes for her to take the first bottle and 25 minutes to take the second bottle, but she TOOK IT!!!!!

That night we had Daddy give her another bottle before going to bed. She put up a good fight but did drink some before going to sleep for the night. And last night same thing, put up a very good fight but drank some before going to sleep for the night.

It’s now been 2 hours since I dropped the kids off to school and no phone calls yet. Keep your fingers crossed and I’ll update again in a couple of days.

p.s. I have pictures…but they aren’t uploading right now. I’ll post as soon as they let me 🙂